Thursday, June 25, 2009

Random Musings

The Hilton Hotel in Helsinki, Finland




Random, because I've decided that for the first time in my life I won't be organized and file my thoughts in chronological order. After all, I have been home 4 days from Romania and my memories of that amazing trip are far from orderly. In fact, I get glimpses of pleasurable memories often unexpectedly and never in order!

Lauren has done such a fine job of telling our story while I was there, and now her story, so I'll just tuck in a few of what I call my gems; those little jewels that cost nothing to keep but are priceless if lost... memories.

June 19th Still Heading Home...

Last night was my first culture shock. The hotel Mike booked for me was a 5 star Scandinavian Style Hilton Hotel in Helsinki, Finland. It looked like a show house for Ikea...probably was! The staff were very friendly and helpful and the amenities were beyond what I've experienced in America; including complimentary computers and printers for guest use!

However, the desk clerk rubbed me the wrong way. After discovering I was heading home from Romania, he sneered, "Welcome back to civilization!" Actually, I felt like the people I'd met in Romania were far more civilized...

Yes, Finland is cleaner, more efficient, and well designed, but it also feels sterile, artificial, and obscenely expensive. I did enjoy the beauty, and clean design of my room and bath. But honestly, as I lay soaking in my bath last night, surrounded by elegant lighting and frosted glass doorways, I missed the tiny bathroom at the Center with the shower curtain that constantly slid open down it's angled slope during my showers. I missed the many people I shared the bath and kitchen with - yes, even the guys who were visiting and used all my towels!

I would trade all this luxury to be back in Hunedoara, at the Center, where the screenless windows open wide, blowing mountain breezes through the fluttering curtains. I would welcome back the small fridge that dripped water from it's tiny sectioned freezer, and the giant gas oven in the main kitchen, who at the end, I was able to make friends with and forgive for burning my pie crust!

But mostly, I would trade all of this for the warm friends and loving people I met back in Romania and at the Center...

No comments: